Saturday, May 1, 2010

From Mary A. Kassian's new book

Girls Gone Wise in a World Gone Wild

I have talked to thousands of women who have fallen into sin because they were unconcerned about their exposure to worldliness and complacent about pondering the way of the Lord. You are mistaken if you think that going to church for an hour a week will counteract the influence of thirty-three hours of TV. Do not think that you can constantly listen to ungodly counsel and remain uninfluenced by it - especially if you are not in the habit of pursuing godly input. Daily exposure to the world’s way without a counteracting exposure to God’s way will kill you just as surely as ingesting bits of poison without an antidote will. -from Girls Gone Wise in a world gone wild by Mary A. Kassian

Amen!

I think you will be reading quite a few passages from this book over the next few days or weeks.

And (hand-in-hand with this book) - Modesty Revisited

For the last few weeks I’ve been listening to Nancy L. DeMoss teach on Modesty. I don’t even know what to say - my dear husband is getting tired of listening to me talk about it (and the questions) and still I'm pondering (and praying) about the messages and yesterday I was almost in tears as I considered myself and my life (and I consider myself fairly modest). And I have to confess that the concept of being responsible for my brothers in Christ just weighs me down…it almost immobilizes me…which brings me to this…if you are my brother in Christ and I have in any way been immodest and caused you to sin I sincerely apologize.

Ladies, I'd like to suggest that you listen to Nancy’s lessons on modesty and really ponder and pray about what she has to say - I think that you will be challenged - even if you think that you are modest. Btw, one of the simple truths that I've realized over the course of listening to these lessons and reading a few blogs by some amazing young women (who are seeking to dress modestly and live Christ centered lives - and really impress me and make me hope and pray that my sons find girls like these to marry) is that modesty and femininity are not the same thing. One can be modest without being the least bit feminine. And I think that if we look at our roles - created male and female - women are supposed to act and dress in a feminine manner.

One last thing...if you have been intrigued by this topic, another lesson on this subject that just rocked my world was this sermon by C.J. Mahaney - all I can say is, “Wow!”

If you have time to listen to only one thing (and surely you have more time than that), listen to Mahaney.

P.S. I once asked if this outfit was modest. I've since come to the conclusion that it was not. My skirt was too short and so was Bessie's. Plus, with the rain, t-shirts were a bad, bad idea. (Not that I knew it was going to rain, but that doesn't matter.) And...I'm not a spring chicken any more so I am presently pondering whether I should even wear t-shirts at all. The question then becomes, what do I wear on a casual day? All I've ever known is t-shirts (and jeans). Dressing up to go somewhere special (church) is easy...but figuring out what to wear on a casual day is not.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin