Sunday, June 7, 2009

Of Words and Tomatoes

1. So this morning I’m driving to church (Mark and I drove separately) and I am listening to the A Collision CD by David Crowder Band and I have the volume turned up rather high to override all the noise coming from the back of the van. I’m driving along and there is this pause of sorts after one of the songs (it is an odd CD in that there are quiet intervals between some of the songs) and during the pause a little three year old voice pipes up from the back of the van, “Turn it up! Turn it up!”

Grin.

So I did. Here are the words to Our Happy Home


Hallelujah, we are on our way. Hallelujah, we are on our way to God. From Egypt lately come, where death and darkness reign to seek our new, our better home where we our rest shall gain. There sin and sorrow cease and every conflicts o’er. There we shall dwell in endless peace and never hunger more. Jerusalem, our happy home. Would God I were in Thee. Would God my woes were at an end, Thy joy that I might see.

…There love in every bosom reigns for God Himself is King. – Our Happy Home/ David Crowder Band (remake of an anonymous folk hymn, from 1616)

(Can’t you see them…Moses leading the Israelites into the desert...stone tablets crashing to the ground…and there is Joshua leading the way…over the Jordan yet again…there is Jericho, time to march and blow their horns, walls are tumbling down…this tribe take this land, that tribe take that land, we will settle here. Our happy home...filled with bloodshed…and forgetfulness.

And we are still there waiting…waiting for the New Jerusalem “our happy home”. Would God we were in Thee.)

Sorry to digress.

2. Since I’ve been home from church Bess has not stopped talking to me. I’m really starting to feel sorry for her husband to be...

And I’m really starting to feel sorry for myself. Every other word is followed by, “Mom, talk.” This after I’ve already responded 5 million times to the same question. My brain is in shut down mode.

I really have to work on this or I will soon be crazy.

3. Recently the children and I planted a few tomatoes, cucumbers, cantaloupes, zucchini, and strawberries. Our annual attempt at container gardening. All the plants had been thriving until recently. Now they are all drooping. One of the tomato plants looks like it is wilting. Very sad.

4. We’ve been adopted by a cat or at least I thought we had. He’d been around for the last few weeks, but disappeared while we were at church. He is a very sweet guy. If he comes back and sticks around, we will probably name him Friday. Like Friday in Robinson Crusoe and because he showed up on a Friday.



5. Ben is walking.

6. I am really behind in my reading. Someday soon I may list all the books I have to read…back when I only had three kids I could zip through a book in a day or two, now I’m lucky if I get through a page in a week. Very sad.


7. When the cat showed up he was being chased by a mocking bird.

8. We will be going to the Delirious concert on Friday. Yea! (I haven’t been to a concert in years…)





9. I'm pretty sure that Ben has an ear infection. My never grumpy guy is grumpy. All is not right with the world.

10. The end.

*Maybe Crusoe is a better name.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin