Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Do you want an Uncommon Union?






My answer is yes!

This is what Jonathan Edwards called his marriage to his wife Sarah. An uncommon union. I don’t know about you, but that is what I want…an uncommon union.

Today as I cleaned my house I listened to a wonderful, wonderful message. It was a message (sermon/teaching) by Doug Phillips on God’s vision for the home or more specifically – how a wife can be a blessing to her husband and establish an uncommon union between them.

The Series is entitled: The Wise Woman’s Guide to Blessing Her Husband’s Vision and it is powerful.

Here is the description for the series: The Christian community is full of dear ladies discouraged because their husbands lack vision to lead the family with gusto. In some cases, the men are simply overwhelmed with present responsibilities. In other cases, they lack a biblical framework for household leadership. It certainly does not help when men have poor role models in their own lives, which is the case for a growing majority of husbands. Often wives cry out, “Help, my husband just doesn’t get it,” or, “I want more children, but my husband says ‘no,’” or even, “My husband is nervous about home schooling.” For more than ten years, Doug and Beall Phillips have spoken with hundreds who share these sentiments. But, too often, wives contribute to the problem through a wrong response. The great news is that the Bible anticipates this crisis of leadership in the home and provides crystal clear direction for wives. Wise women will desire to bless their husband’s vision by embracing the specific affirmative and negative biblical commands given to them for this very purpose. Those who do will become a sanctifying influence on their household, grow in spiritual maturity, and become God’s vehicle for their husband’s spiritual revival. This series is meant to encourage both wives and husbands with the principles and the practicalities for men and women growing in family vision for the Lord. –Doug Phillips

This is such a dead on right message that I am seriously thinking about buying a copy of it for every wife that I know.

And just so this message is not casually dismissed by those of you who do not home school, or do not have more than two children let me mention that this message is for every wife out there. Every single one of us. We can all learn from it. But, it is especially for wives who have come to the conclusion that their husbands have given up on their family.

I honestly believe that if more women were to put into practice the principles that Phillips shares in this series many marriages would be saved.

So, if you have a moment and $7.95 follow this link and download The Wise Woman's Guide to Blessing Her Husband two part lesson and do so now! Then spend some quiet time tonight or tomorrow while you are cleaning or working to listen and then come back and tell me what you think. You will either be blessed or angry - there is very little middle ground.

P.S. If you are an unmarried woman, this message is for you as well. Listen and absorb it. What I wouldn’t give to have known these truths before I was married (though at the time I probably would not have listened).

Mothers, listen to these messages, change your marriage, then teach these truths to your daughters. Please! Please! Please! We need a few more uncommon unions…because right now we’ve got way too many failed unions and the way of the world is not the answer. For those of you that think that submission = servitude and unhappiness. I would submit that being a servant is exactly who and what Christ is calling us to be and do, and that being a servant actually = true joy, peace, and contentment. Try it and see.

Dear Lucy, it seems to me to be the will of God, that I must shortly leave you; therefore give my kindest regards to my dear wife, and tell her, that the uncommon union, which has so long subsisted between us, has been of such a nature, as trust is spiritual, and therefore will continue forever. And I hope she will be supported under so great a trial and submit cheerfully to the will of God. And as to my children, you are now like to be fatherless, which I hope will be an inducement to you all, to seek a Father who will never fail you. –Jonathan Edwards writing to youngest daughter Lucy on the eve of his death

And his wife Sarah’s beautiful reply once he had passed…

What shall I say? A holy and good God has covered us with a dark cloud. O that we may kiss the rod, and lay our hands upon our mouths! The Lord has done it. He has made me adore his goodness, that we had him so long. But my God lives; and he has my heart. O what a legacy my husband, and your father, has left us! We are all given to God; and there I am, and love to be. –Sarah Edwards

P.P.S. Don't you love that! Sarah says, "But my God lives; and he has my heart." No woe is me here. And then she goes on to praise her husband. No condemnation. And the last line, "We are all given to God; and there I am, and love to be."

And there I am and love to be.

Amen.


Note: The above picture is of Sarah Pierpoint Edwards. She was 17 when she became Mrs. Jonathan Edwards. He was 23.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin