Thursday, January 14, 2010

About My Deacon and Other Things

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. – Matthew 5:9

Earlier this past year I realized a truth about my husband – I realized that I am married to a peacemaker. You may agree or disagree with this, but I know it to be true. The truth of this was one of those things that I “knew” but had never really realized or called by name until one day when my eyes were literally opened to it…rather like (in a very small way) when God finally speaks to Job and Job replies to God, “I had heard of you by hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you...” Job 42:5.

Suddenly my eyes saw him. It was a "Wow!” moment. Literally.


I’ve been reading Deacon Wives by Diana Davis. It is a wonderful little book. I highly recommend it. I actually think that it has value for all Christian women – deacon wife or not. In the book Davis outlines the role and duties of the deacon wife.


She also writes about how it is the role of the deacon to support his church and not to ever cause dissention among the body of believers. As I read her words I could hear and see (in my mind's eye) my husband speaking. This is a lesson and a lecture I’ve heard my husband give to me and many others. He is a peacemaker and a protector of the church.

In her book Davis says that we were born for the roles we have and although I sometimes wonder about myself and my worthiness (in this role and others), I know without a doubt that Mark was born for his role.

Switching gears...you will want to head over to Revive Our Hearts. Nancy Leigh DeMoss is doing a series on 2 Peter chapter 1entited "Adding to Your Faith". On day two she asked, "Do you know God?" (Think Job and the verse I quoted above.) Here is a quote to whet your appetite...

I want to suggest at the outset here that a failure to know God—not just a failure to know about God, but a failure to know God—is at the heart of every problem we have. It's at the heart of every problem we have in our lives and every problem, I believe, that we have in our culture. And conversely, knowing God is the key to every blessing of God in our lives. - Nancy Leigh DeMoss

Today's lesson is entitled "How to Break Patterns of Sin".

For this reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. -2 Peter 1:5-8





No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin