Sunday, December 6, 2009

Advent

In a previous post I mentioned that that Sunday (November 29th) was the first Sunday of Advent. Since then a dear friend has asked me to explain to her how to celebrate Advent. So after much delay here is how to do it…

The Basics:

Literally Advent means “coming”.

The four Sundays that make up the Advent Season (which usually begins on the last Sunday in November – the Sunday closest to November 30th) are set aside as a time to prepare, reflect, and acknowledge the gift of salvation that we (Christians) have been given through the birth of God’s Son Jesus Christ. It is also a time to anticipate the second coming of Christ. In short it is a time of looking back to the birth and forward to the second coming. Traditionally Advent is celebrated with three main things – an Advent wreath, candles and Scripture readings.

The Advent wreath is usually a circular evergreen wreath (although Lutherans sometimes use a log shape) – either homemade or store bought (or if you are Catholic there is no greenery just a circle with holes for the candles). The circle of the wreath represents the hope of eternal life in Christ and the greenery symbolizes the abundant life Jesus has promised us in the here and now.

The candles which go on the wreath vary in color but are typically a combination of three purple (or blue) candles, one pink candle and one white candle. One candle is lit each Sunday in Advent with the fifth candle – the white candle- lit on Christmas Eve and Day. The candles are lit in this order: purple, purple, pink, purple, and then white with each previous candle being lit along with the new candle so that on Christmas Eve/Day all the candles are lit. Each candle is symbolic and depending on what source you use their meanings can vary slightly but I think the most common meanings are: first purple candle - promise candle; second purple candle - prophet’s candle; third pink candle - John the Baptist’s candle; fourth purple candle -Mary’s candle and of course the fifth candle, the white candle, represents Christ Jesus, the Light of the World.

There are specific Scripture readings that accompany the lighting of each candle. These can vary slightly also so I am not going to list them but you can find a complete list of the Scriptures here.

Finally, there are many wonderful resources to use with Advent. Advent can be as simple as lighting a candle and reading a scripture on each of the four Sundays leading up to Christmas or it can be more involved – with daily scripture reading, hymn singing and a lighting of candles on each Sunday. It can be as involved or as simple as you have time to make it.

There are also many good Advent devotionals available. I will try to list some resources in another post.

Here is a glimpse of our nightly Advent celebration (we do something each night leading up to Christmas and then we have a special celebration on Christmas Eve with a birthday cake for Jesus and then a special reading on Christmas Day before we open our presents):

Each night I prepare some sort of treat for the children – hot cocoa, candy, cookies, or some kind of dessert which we enjoy during or right before we begin our Advent celebration. Before we begin we light the appropriate candle then we pray and sing a Christmas hymn, then Mark or I (if he is not home) read the nightly reading. This year we are reading through Jotham’s Journey. Which I highly recommend, but which is not a necessity. In years past we have read scripture only or scripture and devotions. As a special treat on each of the four Sundays I prepare a special goodie bag for each child inside of which I put candy or money or a special tiny gift. Inside one of the bags there is a scripture verse. I bring the bags out and the children each select a bag. The one that selects the bag with the scripture verse has to locate the verse in their Bible and read it aloud to all. I haven’t done the bags each year (because I’m a very forgetful person) and when I’ve missed a year (as I did last year) the children complain loudly and tell me in no uncertain terms just how much they miss this aspect of our Advent celebration. In fact, Caleb started reminding me of it early in November so this year I am doing it again. You may be wondering what happens if Ben or Bess gets the Bible verse (all of the older children can read) – the answer is that Ben doesn’t get a bag and someone else will read the verse for Bess if she gets it and she will repeat all or part of it aloud.

Well, now it is time for me to go and join my family so that we can light the second purple candle, sing our hymns (Away in a Manger and O Little Town of Bethlehem) and have our nightly reading (from Jotham's Journey and Scripture - Matthew 1:18-25, Luke 2:1-7, Micah 5:2, and Isaish 40:31. The secret verse that one of the children will get will be Micah 5:2). If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I’ll try to post a list of Advent resources soon.

1 comment:

Donna said...

WOW, Danielle - thank you SO much for sharing this. I've always wondered what people do exactly for Advent.

But I have to honestly admit that, even after reading it and thinking, "Wow, that's neat..." I don't think I'd ever do it!

I struggle with even celebrating Christmas, and if my husband wouldn't commit me to an Insane Asylum for even mentioning it, I wouldn't "do" Christmas anymore.

I've *never* been a big fan of Christmas, even before I came to Christ! Strange, huh?

This post really resonated with me and is what I believe as well:

http://blog.vaughnshire.com/2007/03/26/so-what-about-christmas/

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to share, and I miss you guys!!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin