Saturday, June 27, 2009

Weekly Scripture Reading

So how did it go last week? Were you able to spend time in the Word?

Last week I wasn’t able to spend as much time in the Word as I would have liked. I like to be able to dig in deep and really “spend” time reading and praying. But last week I was exhausted and I shut off my alarm four out of five mornings (M-F) without even realizing I had done so. The result was that I wasn’t able to get up before the children and had to spend my quiet time with a bit of noise and many interruptions. You might recall that I mentioned before that I know all about interruptions. I’ve come to believe they are okay during various seasons of a mother’s life (having your quiet time while the children are awake) and especially okay when there is a newborn in the house or a toddler that is refusing to sleep at night, but I’ve come to realize that I much prefer getting up before the children are awake. I’ve come to treasure my quiet hours alone with God. Notice the word “my”. I’ve claimed the time. As mother’s we must be careful not to claim time as our own, because once we do we will regret it’s inevitable loss and that is when the interruptions start to make us irritable and unpleasant. So I must remind myself that my time with God is a privilege and doesn’t “belong” to me. I must be willing to give it up if other life issues call, and go back to it as I have time. Smile.

But, I find that it is nice to be able get up before the children because it allows me time to spiritually and mentally prepare myself for the day ahead. Later in the week I’ll try to write a little about how to have a quiet time when the children are awake.

Here are the Scripture Readings for the week of June 28th – July 5th. This week holds the promise of being busy as we prepare for the July 4th holiday. Don't let your busyness steal your time with God - stay in the Word. And if you do get sidetracked and stop reading, start again as soon as you are able.

Day One: Sunday June 28 – 2 Chronicles 6-7; Psalm 136

Day Two: Monday June 29 – Psalm 134; 146-150

Day Three: Tuesday June 30 – 1 Kings 9; 2 Chronicles 8

Day Four: Wednesday July 1 – Proverbs 25-26

Day Five: Thursday July 2 – Proverbs 27-29

Day Six: Friday July 3 – Ecclesiastes 1-6

Day Seven: Saturday July 4 – Ecclesiastes 7-12 (I know that you will be busy today, but don’t skip!)

Looking Ahead: Sunday July 5 – 1 Kings10-11; 2 Chronicles 9

A generation goes, and a generation comes, but the earth remains forever. –Ecclesiastes 1:4

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin