Monday, June 29, 2009

Simple Illustration



As we were driving home from church one Sunday a few months back my 11 year old son Aaron mentioned that his Sunday school teacher had asked the students to tell the story of Jonah. He said, “Mom, no one knew who Jonah was. They didn’t know he was swallowed by a whale, or that he was running away from God, or that God wanted him to go to Nineveh. That is a simple kid story. I was the only one there that knew the story of Jonah. It was crazy.”


Now when he told me this I took it with a grain of salt as I assumed that his perception of what had transpired was off a bit (he has an auditory processing disorder and is typically a bit behind his peers in ability and there is a lot he simply does not know and cannot do that his peers know and do) and I assumed that the kids in his class simply did not want to answer the question, but after hearing what Woodrow Kroll had to say the other day I’m beginning to wonder – maybe his perception wasn’t as off as I thought.


Just for fun here is a question for you…without looking (it up) can you tell me who Jubal and Tubal-cain were?


(If you’ve done Mystery of History part I you will know the answer to this.) Aaron knows the answer because we study Bible and history together.


Give up? The answer can be found in Genesis 4:21-22.


______________


I just asked Aaron the above question to be sure he remembered the answer and he said, “one was a musician and one was a crafter of bronze and iron”. He couldn’t remember who was who, but that is pretty good considering we learned this obscure fact in September of last year and only briefly reviewed it at Christmas.


Adah bore Jabal; he was the father of those who dwell in tents and have livestock. His brother’s name was Jubal; he was the father of all those who play the lyre and pipe. Zillah also bore Tubal-cain; he was the forger of all instruments of bronze and iron. –Genesis 4:20-22

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin