Saturday, March 14, 2009

Changes




I’ve been reflecting this morning about how I’ve changed domestically.

There was a time when my idea of cooking = spaghetti or a can of soup. Now if the kids say, “What’s for dessert?” (and I haven’t planned anything - important distinction) my mind immediately starts turning and the next thing I know I’m making cake, cookies, brownies, or some wholesome rice crispy treats. Yes, I did say wholesome! Almost all my desserts (of late) are filled with something good for you and made with at least some, if not all, whole wheat (or other healthy) flour or in the case of rice crispy treats - brown rice cereal. In fact the other day, I made brownies that had carrots, flaxseed and protein powder in them. Ha! And they were gone in about five minutes. It was so funny. It was all I could do not to laugh…I so wanted to tell them that there were carrots in their brownies, but I stayed mum. I don’t keep many secrets, but this one I’m going to hold on to for awhile. I’m still grinning about it. I know it’s silly, but a girl needs a giggle once in awhile. Of course my two helpers – Beth and Bess – knew about the carrots, but they ate them up anyway. Brownies are hard to resist even with carrots mixed in.

This morning (early – another change in me/early morning cooking) I made Crustless Quiche for breakfast. It is easier to make than real quiche because there is no crust.

Crustless Quiche: 5 eggs, ¼ cup flour, ½ tsp. salt, ½ tsp baking powder, ½ stick melted butter, 1 cup cottage cheese, ½ cup grated cheddar cheese. Combine all ingredients and pour into a well-greased 9X9 pan (I actually use a pie dish). Bake at 400 for 15 minutes. Reduce to 350 and cook for 30-40 more minutes.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin