Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Countdown to Thanksgiving








Yesterday marked the first day of my four day countdown to Thanksgiving.

Yesterday (day 1) I (dani) spent the day doing…what? I can hardly recall. Oh, yes, laundry. How could I possibly forget the mounds and mounds of laundry…some of which are still around this morning.

Thank you, Lord, for my washing machine and my dryer. Thank you that I have clothes to wash.

For some reason as I anticipate the arrival of this week I always think I’ll be able to use it to catch up on all the things I’m behind on (like reading) and that it will be a restful week. Not so. It’s always a busy week.

Praise God for busyness. Wouldn’t life be boring without all these children and their mounds of clothes.

What else did I do yesterday? I got my hair cut (although I can hardly tell the difference) and the girls and I went to grocery and bought our half (the relatives bring the rest) of Thanksgiving dinner…btw, whatever happened to free turkeys?

Thank you, Lord, for the lady who cut and styled my hair – I pray that she will have a blessed and restful Thanksgiving. Thank you, for Ben who went with us to the store and sat quietly in the cart even though I forgot his pacifier in the car and we were in the store forever.

Today is cleaning day and painting day. (If I don't have time to paint, the house will just have to look like it looks…in need of…help. Sorry folks.) Tomorrow the girls and I will be baking and cleaning (again). Tomorrow Mark will brine the turkey. Then, Thursday is Thanksgiving.

Thank You, Lord, for all I have to do and for all the family members who will be here to celebrate with us on Thanksgiving day...

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, but this year I feel ill prepared for it. Thanksgiving has gotten lost in the rush of…everything.

Sadly, I haven’t spent much time praising God for His goodness. I’ve been overly focused on myself and my wants and needs. Focused on things that make no difference...

Today as I go about my chores I’m going to turn on the radio and turn my thoughts away from myself. While I’m cleaning I will spend the time thanking God for everything – the good and the bad…the fun and the not so fun...the sunshine and the clouds…everything.

“Regardless of how I feel, I can choose to give thanks…” –Nancy Leigh DeMoss

What are you thankful for today? Better yet, what less-than-good thing in your life are you thankful for?


Let us come into His presence with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to Him with songs of praise! –Psalm 95:2

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I'm thankful to be doing what God has called me to do and that He's been faithful through it.
Although I'll desperately miss all of you on Thursday!
I hope Stephan can hook up his laptop to your wireless internet so I can at least video chat with y'all. So maybe I'll see ya on Thursday after all!
Have a blessed week, Dani!

danielle said...

Thanks Debbie! We will miss you tomorrow. It just won't be the same. Hopefully we will get to see you via video chat.

I'm so pumped about all that God is doing in your life. You are in our prayers.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin