Tuesday, November 18, 2008

We Wish You a Merry Christmas or Not


(This is a picture from a Hobby Lobby newpaper add. Cool huh?)

Focus on the Family has released their latest listing of Christmas friendly stores (stores where you will hear or see references to Christmas as opposed to just "Happy Holidays").

I was pleased to see that Target made the "Christmas friendly" list this year. (Now if they would only bring back the Salvation Army bell ringers...I miss them. To Target’s credit they did donate $1 million dollars to the Salvation Army. There are a few other stores that are Christmas friendly stores that aren’t on the list – Hobby Lobby for one (I love that they are closed on Sundays!). Check out this list of messages that Hobby Lobby has printed in the newspaper during the holidays. I love it!

Now I'm going to step on my soap box for a minute - there are a few stores that make my skin crawl and which I feel strongly about not patronizing AT ALL. The main one being Abercrombie & Fitch. I want to shake Moms when I see their kids wearing T-shirts that promote this store. This store has a love affair with half-naked seductive advertising (which makes one wonder whether they are really selling clothing at all). There is a name for this type of picture/advertising but, as this is a child friendly site, I'm not even going to use the terminology. If you think this makes no difference and doesn't influence your children...please think again. (Victoria’s Secret is the same way. I used to love that store, but now I won’t even go in there.) Okay, end of soap box. Grin.

Reminder...Advent starts November 30th. If you are looking for candles (and you live in Texas), Mardel (yes, I finally made it there) had advent candles the last time I was there (which was a few months back so there may not be any left).

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin